If you’re staying home this holiday weekend you should make the most of it and spruce up your abode with DDI’s simple DIY tips. Missed Parts I and II? You can check them out on my Facebook fan page or right here in blog posts from the past week!
1) Change out the knobs and handles in one room. Even if you can’t paint or stain your cabinets right now the new hardware will give the space a facelift.
2) Spray paint a tired chandelier. Look for spray paints designed for brass, wrought iron or whatever yours is made of.
3) Use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to give baseboards, walls, doors, etc a nice cleaning. If your home has flat paint on the walls and doors grimey hand prints are likely making your home look older than it really is.
4) Replace those old blinds already! If you have damaged or outdated blinds it won’t really matter how lovely your accessories are- the whole room will be cheated by the lack of attention to the windows. I recommend Blind Alley in Oklahoma City (405.848.0099) and tell David the Designing Diva sent you!
5) Pull grandma’s heirlooms and hand-me-down’s out of the closet to create your own fantastic collection. Her china plates would look smashing hung on the wall (visit Hobby Lobby for plate hooks, found in framing section) or string her now vintage hankerchiefs up on a clothesline above the guest bed for a chic and truly unique look. Get creative but for heaven’s sake get those precious items out of storage! No one gets to enjoy them if they’re in boxes somewhere and your home decor should be a reflection of you and your family’s heritage.