I like change. I love to rearrange my furniture, paint it every couple of years, sell tired accessories and find new ones. But with all of the coming and going there are at least five types of home accessories I make sure to keep around. They may vary in color, style or shape from season to season but the rules for possessing them are the same: they must be versatile (able to serve various purposes). They must be affordable. They must be special (I never purchase anything for my home that doesn’t inspire me). So what are the five types of accessories I think every home should have?
5) Vases in various color, sizes, materials and shapes. Ceramic, wood, metal, its all good! Set large ones on the floor holding tall reeds and let the smaller ones create smiles at the dinner table by holding tiny cut flowers from your garden….or your neighbor’s garden if they’re not home
4) Lamps. Floor lamps and table lamps can be moved from room to room and greatly increase a space’s vibe- no overhead lights with four or five lamps turned low sets an intimate tone while the right desk lamp says “time to get to work!”. Lamps are cuter and more affordable than ever these days and the shades can be changed out when you’re bored with it.
3) Black and white photos. These can be framed or on canvas with the subjects being your loved ones or some far away waterfall that makes you relax when you look at it. It doesn’t matter what the photo is, but a collection of them makes a huge statement in any room, in any frame.
2) Books. Old law books, architecture books from the 60′s, hard cover books from museums- any book that makes a statement about who you are or where your interests lie also make great decorating accessories. Stacked on the floor, piled onto an ottoman or lining bookshelves, these little treasures can be found for pennies at garage sales and when arranged properly make a room!
1) Huge pillows. On beds they scream luxury; on sofas they make everyone feel welcome and when used on floors they give added comfort to movie night. Thanks to designers who have gone main stream with their brand these over-sized cushions can be found in stores all over the place in amazing patterns and prices!